Sacramento Station

B.F. Hastings Building In 1860 Sacramento became the western terminus of the Pony Express. The first eastward journey of the Pony Express started from the B.F. Hastings Building. Located at 2nd and J Streets in Old Town Sacramento, this building housed offices of both the Pony Express and Wells Fargo operations.

On the first trip the Pony Express mail was carried from San Francisco to Sacramento up the Sacramento River on the Steamboat Antelope, arriving over two hours late. At 2:45 a.m. on April 4, 1860, William Hamilton galloped into a blinding rainstorm on the first lap of the 1,966-mile trip to St. Jospeh, Missouri. He raced up J street, past Sutter's Fort, and out Folsom Road on his 60-mile run to Sportsman's Hall Station.