Click on Next Station
Grubb's Well is commonly mentioned in the published lists of Pony Express stations, and is also listed with Overland Stage stations. However, Sir Richard Burton on October 11, 1860 described passing this area as follows:
"Resuming our way, after three miles we reached some wells whose alkaline waters chap the skin."Therefore, there was no station at the site in the fall of 1860, seven months after the inception of the Pony Express. William Henry Streeper described his route as follows:
"My route was in Nevada, between Diamond Springs and Smith Creek. From Diamond Springs it was 35 miles to our next station, which was Robert's Creek. Then it was another 35 miles from Robert's Creek to Dry Creek."There is no mention of Grubb's Well which was to be located between Robert's Creek and Dry Creek. There is one mention of Grubb's Well in the literature. In Chapman's (1932) reference to the San Francisco Bulletin's dispatches concerning the easternmost extent of the telegraph he said the San Francisco Bulletin printed on August 26, 1861:
"By telegraph to Fort Kearney from St. Louis, thence by Pony Express to Grubb's Wells, thence by telegraph to San Francisco."Therefore Grubb's Well was in existence by August 1861, and the Pony ran until October 1861.
In July 1861, John Butterfield began his Overland Mail and Stage Express and Freight Service just prior to the demise of the Pony Express. He ran his stage fairly closely along the Pony Express route, but he built some additional stations along the route. Grubb's Well was probably built in July 1861 for the Overland Stage. Since it was right on the Pony Express Trail it was probably used as a way station for the last few months of the Pony. Its use by the Overland continued until 1869.
In 1861 the station was a tepee-like structure of rough poles covered by rushes and grass. There was fresh milk from a rare milkcow kept by the hostler. The well here was only ten feet deep and was open to anyone who would haul the harshly alkaline water. (Townley, 1994)
There are no original buildings here. Don Smith of Battle Mountain is the owner of the patented land on which the structures are located.
Just to the southwest of the site sits a rock and concrete monument bearing another brass centennial Pony Express marker. Grubb's Well is eight miles north of Highway 50.
Source: Mason, The Pony Express in Nevada, 1976.