The first Pony Express stop was at Spafford Hall's Station, which is now a gravel pit. The Union Hotel now occupies the second site for the remount station. The free-standing rock wall is the original wall of the Overland Stage Station and Pony Express stop.
On October 19, 1860, Sir Richard Burton described Dayton, then called Chinatown:
"The line of ranches and frame houses, a kind of length-without-breadth place, once celebrated in the gold-digging days looked dreary and grim in the evening gloom."Source: Mason, The Pony Express in Nevada, 1976.