Carson City

Carson City Dayton Station Genoa Station Carson City Station

Click on Next Station

Carson City (founded in 1858) was named for Kit Carson. As the social and supply center for the nearby mining settlements of the Comstock Lode in the mid-1800's, Carson City prospered. In 1864 it was designated the state capital.

In 1860. there was only one street that was little more than a double row of saloons, a few assay offices, a general store, and the hotel that was the relay station for the Pony Express located between 4th and 5th Streets, near the original Ormsby House.

In October 1860, Sir Richard Burton made these comments on Carson City:

"After a day's rest at Carson City, employed in collecting certain necessaries of tobacco and raiment, which intrinsically vile, were about treble the price of the best articles of their kind in the Burlington Arcade..."

Source: Mason, The Pony Express in Nevada, 1976.

Return to List