Andrew Ole Anderson

Andrew Ole Anderson Born: June 20, 1843, Slimming, Malmohus, Sweden

Died: February 11, 1929, Glenwood, Sevier, Utah

It is believed Andrew rode between Salt Lake and Robert's Creek in Howard Egan's Division.

There are numerous stories of Andrew riding for the Pony Express. In the days when the Indians were unfriendly to the white settlers in Utah, Anderson participated in several skirmishes with Indians. His life was in constant danger during his rides. On one occasion he engaged in a pitched battle with a band of Indians who had stolen horses from the settlers in Ephraim.

One experience as told by my Father, Andrew's Grandson, was one time Andrew was ambushed by some Indians. The rifles the Indians had were single shots and they had to retreat after each shot to reload. Andrew, one of the few riders to carry a rifle because of the weight, had a lever-action Henry rifle. Andrew fired several quick shots over their heads, which frightened them, and they rode away. They called him "White Man with Spirit Gun". Andrew didn't have any trouble with Indians from then on.

Andrew said many times he warmed his hands over fires the Indians had just left.

The pony Andrew rode was named Peacock and belonged to his friend Andrew Thompson.

Andrew was an excellent shot with a revolver. It is said he could circle a tree on a horse at full gallup and shoot at a target, the size of a silver dollar, and hit it every time.

In 1863 Andrew served as Captain Teamster to lead the immigrants from Missouri to the Salt Lake Valley. He made this trip several times. On one of his trips he brought a threshing machine back with him. It was one of the first in Central Utah.

In 1864 he led thirty families South from Salt Lake and founded the settlement of South Bend, later known as Alma and finally as Monroe, Utah as it is known as today. Early in 1865 a fort, enclosing one block of the town, was built. The fort was built of log houses on three sides with a rock wall, ten feet high, on the East. The fort was built in nine days. In July of 1865 Indians attacked the settlement and in February 1866, some families fearing other attacks moved to Richfield, about five miles North. Because Indian hostilities increased the settlement was vacated in April of 1867.

On May 1, 1867, Andrew was mustered into service as a private at Fort Ephram in Sanpete County, Utah, and served in the Black Hawk Indian War. He served in Capt. Lewis Larson's B Company, 2nd Calvary Regiment, Sanpete Military District Militia of the Territory of Utah until his release on November 1, 1867.

Andrew was one of the first Marshals of Ephraim, Utah. He also served as Justice of peace of Ephraim.

On September 11, 1882, Andrew served as an Missionary in Sweden for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Later, exact date unknown, he served a second Mission to Sweden.

Andrew also tried his hand at raising sheep. He was associated with Sampson and Buchanan in the ownership of 20,000 head of sheep.

Andrew served a term in the State Prison for Polygamy and was released August 7, 1890.

Andrew died February 11, 1929 at Glenwood, Utah and is buried in the Glenwood Cemetary.

Information provided by Jack M Oldroyd, Great Grandson of Andrew Ole Anderson from his Family History book titled "The Generations of Ola and Ana Anderson", by Euray Anderson; an obituary appearing in the Salt Lake Tribune at the time of his death; and from information from his father, Andrew Van Oldroyd, Andrew's Grandson. December 1998.