Reports from the Trail 2015

NPEA President Lyle Ladner followed the Riders across the Trail. Here are his photos.

From: Wendy Anderson, Schellbourne Re-riders
Received: July 5, 7:33pm PDT

Jim Hannah and Tony Zamora. It was dark, pitch black. The horses moved out carefully, watching all the shadows from vehicles in the front and in back of them. Their ride went well, then the next two riders headed out, and things went drastically wrong quickly. One rider came off and the horse disappeared into the dark morning. Luckily, the rider seemed to be okay, and the mail had been on the other rider's horse, so the mail must go on.

A big thank you to Lyle Ladner and Dean Atkins for staying behind and searching for the missing horse.

From here the riders lined out into the dark morning. We had a truck go ahead to open all the gates at every cattle guard and get prepared to take the mail across Tippets. Here Tom Love, Carol Hunt and Eva Jensen took the mail across Tippets, they were met by some of the Hannahs who took the mail up to what we call the turn around. There, Ed Ockert had dropped off riders who would be waiting to take the mail through Rock Springs. In this stretch of trail, we cannot take trucks and trailers, so the majority of the riders not participating waited for Ed to get back, so we could lead him around the mountain to pick up riders on the other side of the mountain. It takes about 45 minutes to drive all the way around to get to the other side of Rock Springs to the pond. We had been traveling slower than normal, because of brake issues, (yes some more issues we would have to deal with for the remainder of the re-ride) so it took us longer than normal to cover the miles. When we finally got to the top of the mountain, the riders were already coming off the mountain. I hurried and kicked out my horse, Cowboy and we trotted down the mountain. I handed off the mail to Tony Zamora, who quickly covered a few miles, then he handed off to the ride captain's granddaughters and they hurried down the trail to Vogler's Y. At this point, Tom Love had lined out some riders to get the mail up and over Schellbourne Pass and into Schellbourne Station rest area and monument. Vince Hannah carried the mail into Schellbourne for us. We are very excited to have him join us for the re-ride, as earlier in the year, he had to have back surgery and was told he might never ride again. We are very happy to see him on a horse again. Great job Vince.

At this point, we are all very appreciative to Joyce Christensen as she was gracious enough to once again bring out breakfast and lunch for all the riders. So, everyone hurried to clean up, eat, drink, grab lunch, water horses and head back down the trail.

Here, we had some more bad luck, one of the Paso Finos decided he wanted out the front of the horse trailer and ended up getting hurt in the trailer. So, now we were down a rider and two horses. This was hard because the other horses were wearing down in the 95 plus degree heat with all the rough terrain to cover.

But, the mail does not stop, so Jimmy Hannah jumped on a horse and headed out towards Cherry Creek. Other riders quickly took care of business and got down the trail to help him out.

Doc Chris, Chris and Drake was already headed down the trail to get the mail and head up over Egan Canyon. The rest of the riders had to drive all the way around Cherry Creek and head over to Butte Valley.

Once the Christensen't got the mail over Egan, they handed off to Eva Jensen, who took the mail down off the mine road and then handed off to Nora and Deanna, who rode across Butte Valley, where they handed off to Tony and Gene Ockert (the ride captain) so they could ride for several miles through White Rock. White Rock is a very interesting area to ride through, there is no marked trail, in fact, a lot of wild horse trails through this area of 7 or 8 miles, make it very hard to figure out where the trail actually is. Both Tony and Gene said they seen several wild horses that made their ride quite scary as Gene was on a young mare.

Luckily, they made it through White Rock without too much more adventure, to find all of us waiting to get the mail on down the trail. Schellbourne riders lined out across the hot dusty trail and we covered the miles as quickly as we could with hot, tired horses and riders.

When we arrived at the Mavericks, we found that Tom Love and Carol had lost what they thought at this time as the transmission in their truck, so they were done. 3 more horses and riders were out of the ride. All we could do at this point, was tell them we would be back for them if necessary when we were done.

With a lot of miles left to cover and tired horses and riders, it was not looking too good. But, my hat is off to the Schellbourne Re-riders, we all dug down deep and kept getting the horses out of the trailers and covered the miles.

Jim Hannah got his beautiful Paso Fina stallion out of the trailer and quickly covered the miles across the valley for us. It is about 8 miles across the valley, and he really helped us pick up some time on his ride.

Then, we all lined out for the last 19 miles of the ride.

I was questionable for the ride as well this year as I came off a few weeks prior to the re-ride. But, everything worked out great between my horse and I and we quickly covered several of the miles towards the end of the ride too.

Tony Zamora was really tired and had two tired horses in the trailer, but he got his horses out and rode both of them again too.

When everything was all said and done, I don't believe anyone could say they did not get to ride enough.

Between Drake and Chris, they finished the ride for us by getting the mail up to the top of the Diamonds for us.

Chris was supposed to be to work the next morning bright and early and finally got down off the mountain in the dark, tired, hungary, and slightly off trail. We cannot say thank you enough to the Christensen's for going the extra mile to make sure the hand off was complete. Thanks for your devotion to Pony Express, you are awesome.

Everyone else headed to camp to get horses fed and watered. I had lots of help preparing super and those that could stay, got ready for bed. I had to be to work in the morning, so we headed home. With limited brakes, it was a very long trip home.

What else could be said about our adventures in Pony Express this year? Well, we all had a really great time, we love the Pony Express, the trails, the friendships and of course the great horses.

Gene Ockert is our Ride Captain, he did a great job this year. We are going to work on a couple of things that could help time wise for next year, but he rode his horses and covered the miles in 2015.

So, until next year, keep the history alive and we will see you on the trails again.

Here are her photos.

From: Ron Bell President Nevada Division Pony Express
Received: July 4, 4:22pm PDT

Nevada Re-Ride 2015

Steve Neilson picked me up at 7:00 am on Sunday June 21, 2015 to start our adventure at Ibapah, to pick up the mail from Utah. After a nice drive we arrived kind of in Ibapah found the trail marker but no people or horses. Steve and I drove around a bit to check out the hot spots in town, well we found slim pickings. The next move was to backtrack to check ranches with trailers, horses and people. I remember a statement that the ranch was about 2 miles out of town. We found at about the 10 mile mark a ranch with a trailer, horses and people, so we eased in and found out that we had made it to the meeting place.

We started to visit with our new found friends and another trailer pulled in, followed by a bunch of other trailers. Now we had people, trailers, horses, and people all over the place. Wendy, Tony and Geno came in and started to pull out the Dutch ovens and had a fire going. Stuff like lamb, ham, ribs were added to the pot and set over the fire, another dutch oven was put on the next fire with beans. I should say that not only beans but Tony's special beans, low gas brand. We pulled a big old table over and Wendy and crew started hauling out salads and bread. What a layout and we were invited to eat.

A few went to catch a bit of shut eye. About eleven we all started out to meet the mail, the exchange was going to happen at the monument. Well, we thought it was the one down the trail. Steve and I waited for about an hour, then as before we backtracked to find out the monument was on the road. Cars, trucks, trailers and people all over the place, rider in Mochila exchanged, Tony climbs aboard his horse and he is a giant. Spurs engaged into the night Tony hits the trail, we run out a few miles and get ready for the next exchange. Horses out Mochila loaded on one and the other bolted as the rider was getting on, horse one way rider the other. Now we have a horse running loose in the night, we could not find it so we went after the mail and would find the horse later. The next day the horse was found and taken to a Hicks Ranch for safe keeping and will be picked up later.

At this Steve or I never had any idea of just what this group of riders has to deal with when it comes to getting over the many mountain ranges, just to move the mail forward. The riders from Pahrump Nevada started to unload a horse. My first thought was how that horse is going to be able to get any place. Mail on horse moving forward and forward it did move. That Pasofino was jamming down the road. Changing from the Paso gate to a canter another two miles down the road, the next rider is waiting. This is how it kept on for 144 miles. When one trailer finished using their horses doing two miles. Another trailer pulled up and was waiting for the mail, down the trail we went trailer after trailer. Some places the trailers were pushing over sage brush because it was just a trail. Over some of the mountain passes the trailer would be pulled around to meet on the other side. The trail over the top would be five miles but the support team had to drive forty miles or so to get back together. At points like this another group had been sent around by another road to meet and exchange the mail, always moving forward.

On some of the mountain tops the wild horses would challenge the riders; a couple times they almost had to fire into the ground to move the stallions back so they could get on down the trail. This point came up about knowing the trail. Many of the trails are crisscrossed by the mustang's trails. Our Pony Express trail could not be found. This is why we need the experienced riders who have been over that section for many years and two riders go over together so a new person can learn from one who knows the trail. This point came up later because when we were delivering the mail to Overland Pass our rider missed the trail and came down to the road with a tired horse and totally beat rider. Wendy and Tony picked him up and got him back to his crew so they could get home to go to work in the morning. This was about two or three in the morning.

At one time I was in the back of the pack of trailers heading into a bad section of the road. As I looked forward I could see inside a pickup bed and the underside of the horse trailer. Try this some time. The ditch was deep and I was trying to figure out how they could ever get up the next bank. Well the truck started to move slowly up the bank and the trailer was into the wash. When I got out taking a look what I found was the dirt work Genoa had finished only a week prior had been washed out all over again. With no time to make repairs they just dragged the equipment out of the ditch and moved on to the next problem.

Let's take a little look at this adventure: one lost horse, one horse that tried to unload from the front window yes out of the race, and one other horse was injured somehow and was out of the Re-Ride. One trailer had an axel spring break; well chain it up and move forward. That is not covering the flat tires. Well not just flat but shredded beyond repair. When we started the trailers all had two tires hanging on the racks on each side of the trailers, by the end of the 144 miles the tires were all flat hanging on the side of each trailer.

Most of all of us who ride west of the Ruby Mountains have a different level of commitment when it comes to the Re-Ride. We pull over fair roads to main highways, yes we spend some gas and need to fix a flat sometimes but most every rider and horse needs to travel the major part of these 144 miles over a trail if you could call it that. My hat is off to this group of dedicated riders; their last word was they felt bad that they could not make up any of the time when they received the mail about an one and one half hours late from Utah. In Utah they had major winds and problems of their own and I think they also received the mail a little late. When you see riders with caked dust horses sweating how anyone can say anything but great job, I think Utah made up two hours.

The handoff at Overland pass was made and the mail started down heading west, we could not find out the location from anyone. Steve and I headed to Dry Creek to check on the next ride team and the radio crew, they had no word either so we got an hour sleep and drove back up to Robertson Creek and the mail had just went past. Somehow the rider or the radio person missed each other so we were all in the dark, "Ya" about three in the morning at that time so it is easy to miss a rider or radio operator.

Steve and I drove back to meet at Grubbs Well but were too late. Did meet the mail just east of Dry Creek, helped with the exchange coming from Grubbs Well and she was flying. We followed the mail on to Dry Creek. We drove into the ranch just in time to see Char Myers and her daughter and other rider galloping out of camp and over the bridge heading west. We watched until they reached the timber heading up and over the Mountain. Turned around and headed to Austin to meet Arthur Johnson. When we got there we found out that he was on the trail heading west. Melody was getting ready to trailer up to the Park to meet the rider heading down. Exchange made now the run started for Railroad Pass for the next exchange. Leaving Austin Arthur's team used the two mile exchange program. The mail stopped only a few seconds and back on the trail at a stiff canter. They did deliver the mail early at Rail Road Pass, Great job!!!

Steve and I cut over to highway 50 and headed on to Cold Springs Station. Doug Jares held the time and Petra Keller delivered the mail to Cold Springs, Lyle changed the batteries in the tracker and Nancy Upham started forward to Sand Mountain for the exchange with Grant Bell's team. The mail was late at this point.

Fred Winkler was waiting for the mail with Sam, Fred hit the trail with dirt and rocks flying and into the dark he rode. The jeep was jamming to keep up with Fred; at the two and a half mile he exchanged the Mochila onto Jane. At this point he still had seven miles or so to make the next exchange. Note: Fred made the eleven plus miles in fifty two minutes. Pitch black on he went to exchange with Brian Bell and Jamie Neilson who were taking the mail up to the trail at Simpson Pass. I should say this was Jamie's first ride with the mail and her first night ride. Grant Bell was waiting for the mail and when they arrived we added a new rider to our list Steve who had helped me along the trail by driving and other stuff climbed on Dandy and rode a short way so he and his daughter both made their first ride the same night and the same location. Grant jumped Dandy out heading over the pass to meet Rex by Pit Road, no Rex' so on he road to find Rex or take the mail on over to Top Gun. Well they did meet out on the playa and made the exchange. Rex went on to Top Gun and Grant headed back now seven or eight miles back up and over Simpson Pass to load up the horses and head to our next ride location. Rex Hall delivered the mail to Jill Andrews forty five minutes under our allotted time. Rex loaded up and headed forward to Fort Churchill to meet up with our new riders and the rest of Grants ride team.

Jill moved the mail forward to Hootan Wells where Team Bugg started west to meet up with Grants team and Vicky Moya. We had two new riders I was lucky enough to do the oath and greet them as our new members. Maxi and Heather started our second ride of the day doing five miles each and did a great job. They both covered the trail in a great time, ten miles down of the thirty two. Vicky picked up and rode to Dayton at Highway 50, exchanged to Red and Jamie to head on into Dayton. Grant Bell and Rex Hall covered the next few miles, then exchanged to Brian Bell to ride around the back side of Dayton to meet us on top of the hill just short of Moundhouse. We had time to water the horses and get ready for the last run into Carson City. Brian and Rex exchanged the mail with Rex heading to Carson City; we picked up a VIP as Rex headed out. By the time we got to the hill heading down into Carson City we had two Highway Patrol and three VIP cars and one Sheriff blocking traffic for the horses.

Rex pushed his horse hard and that helped out a lot because the next two horses were tired. The exchange was made and we tried a horse but he just could not move, so we called back Red and I took the mail down the road a mile and changed riders to Brian Bell who rode to the park. Grant took the mail over the park and headed into the next exchange point at The Nevada Day Store and Trading Post at 108 Telegraph St. The next riders were ready to go so they headed on to Genoa and we cooled Dandy down and got him some water. Steve was following the mail on to Genoa and I picked up with my wife Susie Bell. We followed on to Genoa and watched the exchange in town by the fort. By this time my gout was screaming so I knew I could not walk to the exchange point so I headed home from Genoa. Later I received a call telling me that the mail was delivered and I hate to say over four hours late. Thanks to all who rode, we will start planning for next year.

From:Gene Ockert, Ride Captain, Schellbourne ReRiders
Received: July 3, 8:25am PDT

Schellbourne ReRiders June 22, 2015:

As we are departing for Hicks Ranch where we camp for the first night. We left Ely Sunday 20th, about 12:30. On our way we ran into the group from Pahrump who was riding with us for the ReRide. One of the trailers was on the side of the road, we stopped to give assistance. It seems that they broke an spring on the horse trailer. Not sure if this is a sign for the rest of the trip.

We all ran into Wendover to top off on fuel and traveled 20 miles back to heading to Hicks Ranch. As we pulled into Hicks Tony Z. had a blow out on his trailer.

As Tony fixed his trailer Wendy started with getting our food prepared with the help of several ladies from Pahrump. We had fresh ham that Tony and Wendy raised the hogs, along with some Lamb from Tony. Mary from Pahrump brought over some ribs to add to the pot. Carol had brought Chicken also. Wendy made potato salad along with macaroni salad also.

We were starting out with 19 riders and 5 support help. They are a great help with horses and driving. Helping riders either holding horses or helping get on and ready to ride.

Our National President Lyle Lander with his wife and another friend. Also our State President Ron Bell met us at Hicks Ranch to ride across our ride. Everyone ate till we were all stuffed and ready to relax and visited with friends. It was time to get our new members initiated as full fledged members. My granddaughter Nora Hoge, along with Robin Orban and Petra Beighley were welcomed into the Pony Express. It was also Nora's Bithday which we wished her a happy birthday.

We tried to get some rest before we had to get the mail from Utah at 12:30 am Monday 21st. We heard that the mail might be coming early. We all went to the State Line where the Marker was and we pick up the Mail. At about 3:00 head lights come into sight.

Tony and Jim Hannah took the mail from Utah and headed out on our run to the Diamonds. The second group from Pahrump Mary Hannah and Robin Orbin started out, as they got to the first curve Robin's horse decided to take a detour out into the sage. Robin decided to get off and we could not find the horse in the dark. Mary was carrying the mail and kept going. We then left and was hoping that someone would find the horse and take it to Hicks Ranch. The rest of Pahrump spaced out and picked up the pace into the early morning. As we reached the end of the Indian Reservation Tom Love picked up and started across Tippetts. Carol Hunt and Eva Jensen finished across the first leg of Tippetts. Doc Chris, son Chris and Docs grandson Drake picked up the mail to finish Tippetts brigging it to the turn around at the beginning of Rock Springs which is the tallest point of the Pony Express. Just before we started up we had a flat to change. Jimmy Hannah and myself Gene Ockert took the mail up and over about eight to ten miles. It is so steep and rocky with wash outs you do not want to take horse trailers.

Once on the other side Wendy Anderson and Tony Zamora carried it down to where Nora Hoge and Deanna Hoge picked up and carrie to Vogler Ranch. Eva Jensen took the mail starting up the Schellbourne pass. Then between Petra Beighley, Jimmy Hannah, Mary Hannah, Jim Hannah, Vince Hannah finished up and over Schellbourne. Darrell Beighley was on the other side waiting for the group to pick up from there. One of his horsed tried to come thru a small window on the front of the horse trailer and cutting his head up bad. His other horse's saddle was in the other truck so had to wait.

Doc Chris's wife had brought out our breakfast and water for the horses along with some fuel. With Darrell's horses not ready, Jimmy Hannah picked up the mail when it come in. He rode out three miles then I picked up the mail and rode three miles with Willy one of my horses, then took Pony Boy the other horse out and started to ride him the next three miles. At about 2 ¼ miles the heat was getting the best and when Ron Bell asked if I wanted him to finishe up I said that would be great. Jimmy was there to pick up from Ron and go the last two miles to meet up with Doc Chris, Drake and Son Chris. They then took the mail up and over the Eagan range.

Eva picked up the mail from the Christenson's and brought down to the mine road where Deanna and Nora were waiting to take across the next 4 miles. It seems that Pony Boy which Nora was riding did not want to go. So Deanna started out by herself. A little over half way Willy decided he did not want to go any farther. So I got on and was hopping he would go for me. He went about 50 feet and stopped and put his head down to the ground, I thought he was going to die. So I had to get Pony Boy out to finish this part of the leg. I reached where Wendy and Tony were waiting for me. Tony and myself on Maggie one of Tony's horses headed up and over White Rock which is another section that only horses can go. With the ground and trail being washed out bad with rocks and such. Then we started to run into wild horses and it seems that Maggie was more interested in the stallion then the trail. It took us a little longer to get over than normal. We also found out that Eddie my driver had to change another tire that went flat.

Then our friends from Pahrump not nowing who rode first or last. Between Petra, Darrell, Jimmy, Jim, Mary, Robin and Vince. Carried the mail over several miles down and over long valley wash which was fixed this year to make it easier to get trucks and trailers over.

Not much farther Tom Loves truck decided to have lots of trouble and was not able to go any farther. He had to let it cool down and without four wheel drive he was not able to finish the run.

It gets catchy on who rode next, latter Deanna was trying to ride Pepy another one of Tonys horses. He did not want to go so I tried to ride as he was still being stubborn I slapped him with the rains and he started to buck me off, I had to pull his head around so he could not keep bucking. We ended up having Wendy take her horse out and ride the next leg.

The Christensons picked up the mail from Wendy, then Deanna and myself picked up the mail from them. Jimmy picked up the mail for another section, him and his horse rode lots of miles and they kept on going just like the Duracell batteries. The group from Pahrump had a flat and had to take time out to change the tire.

The last leg was picked up by Chris taking it to the top of the Diamonds. Not real sure just what time he reached the top. It was 7:30 when he headed up. Then it was dark on the way down he missed the trail and was wandering around. Tony and Wendy were on their way home when they seen lights out in the sage. Doc was out looking for Chris so Wendy and Tony drove up another trail and found Chris, loaded his horse and him and got him back to his trailer. It seems they got stuck trying to get out, so it was a long night for all of them to get home who had to work the next day.

I want to thank all the riders and support team for all their hard work. They rode lots of miles in the dust and heat.

Here are his photos.

From: Larry Carpenter, Member California Division, and Corresponding Secretary of the NPEA
Received: June 26, 12:58pm PDT

Long before the last Rider and Escort arrived at Pony Express Plaza, a growing group of NPEA (California and Nevada Division) members, friends, a dignitaries, and friends of the Pony Express began arriving there in anticipation of the event. Postal Service employees set up the PA system, a tent for the Official Volunteer Cancellation crew (they would Cancel the Postage on the Commemorative Letters) and chairs for Speakers. Members of the Media interviewed NPEA members and got material for news to be written. A security detail from Sacramento Police Department arrived to make sure the Riders and horses were protected from traffic which can be heavy on 2d Street. We had time to wait, to do a little sightseeing, greet old friends, and talk to the public. Red shirted Pony Riders in the Plaza attracts attention and this day was no exception.

Included in this mix of people were 10 members of the Czech Republic Pony Express Association, part of the European Pony Express. They were redshirted, with yellow bandanas and western hats and became instant friends. They had been in the states for almost 2 weeks to see the Re-ride, sightsee, and had been in St Joseph on the 15th to see the Start of the Ride. Later they turned up a couple of times on the Trail in Wyoming. As we talked we exchanged news of mutual friends and experiences. In 1991, members of the Czech Republic's Pony Express came to the US and participated in our Re-ride. Later 6 NPEA Members participated in an International Ride, and went to Czechoslovakia. They took a mochila with them and rode the Czech's horses. The Americans came away with many tales about the hospitality of their horses, their horses, and their love of the American West and the Pony Express. There was a common appreciation for the heritage of the Pony Express. A heritage that spans continents and languages. Ken Martin was NPEA President at the time, and when he passed away a few years ago, the Czech group did a Commemorative Ride in his memory. Sadly, we did not know they were coming and did not prepare a suitable welcome.

Pony Express Plaza is located at 2nd and J Street in Old Sacramento. A Pony Rider Monument dedicated in 1976 sits in the southwest corner of the grassy area and shadowed by oak trees. Directly across the intersection on the corner is the BF Hastings Bldg that in 1860 housed the Pony Express Agency and from which William Hamilton departed on the inaugural trip of the eastbound Pony Express. A Wells Fargo Museum occupies a portion of the building and at each Arrival and Departure of a Re-ride these add to one's understanding of the times.

In anticipation of the arrival of the last Rider, we as is our custom began a Welcome Ceremony. I acted as MC, and introduced Jeffrey Lelevich, District Manager, for the US Postal Service, and Jagdeep Grewal, Postmaster for Sacramento, who brought greetings and a short address on the history of the Pony Express and its heritage. Christopher McSwain, Executive Director of Old Sacramento, brought greetings from the merchants of Old Sacramento. Lyle Ladner, National President of the National Pony Express Association, spoke briefly of the events of the Re-ride from a perspective of coming West with the mochila from St Joseph. Eleanor Fesova, President of the European Pony Express, and a member of the Czech Republic Pony Express brought greetings from that group, and expressed how happy they were to visit America and see the Re-ride.

At 1:57 PM, the last Rider Crystal Newborn galloped down 2nd Street, escorted by a three member flag escort. She became the center of attention and adoration, and the object of numerous photographs. The mochila was taken off the horse, the cantinas opened and the letters taken to the waiting Cancelling Team. The three member team began hand cancelling the 1000 Commemorative and Personal Letters with the special Re-ride Cancellation prepared by the Postal Service. Tomorrow the mail will go into the USPS system and be delivered world-wide.

It must be said that the Re-ride is done not just by one Rider but by many, each taking their turn transporting the mochila. They and their horses are links in the Re-ride. Each contributes their time and energy to moving the mail. Each gains an appreciation of the history of the Pony Express, and a feel for the operation of the mail service. We all come away in awe of what it felt like to ride the Pony Express, the ride a relay of horses 75 miles plus, twice a week, across the American West. Many come away with the necessity to preserve that history, the trail, and the Re-ride so that others may experience it. With our Trail Partners....National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, Partnership for the National Trails, historical Pony Express sites and regional groups that is being done, but it is a continual effort.

With sadness we said goodbye to our Pony Express friends, wished them well, and to our NPEA buddies......see you at Convention in September at the Patee House in St Joe! Long Live the Pony Express.

Received: June 25, 3:13pm PDT





From: Petra Keller, NPEA Nevada Division
Received: June 25, 9:17pm PDT

2015 will be remembered as a HOT year for the ReRide. Wow - the temps were scorching but the mail must go through.

My first leg would be a familiar one, Edwards Creek to Hwy 50 by Cold Springs, Nevada riding with the Jares family. It is a relatively flat dirt road with a couple of cattle guards, about 5 miles. A minor hiccup in our lineup, Alex was fighting the fire near Markleeville, CA and would not be able to ride with us this year, so we came up with a plan to absorb his miles with the team. This would add another 3 miles on Hwy 50 for Red and I. Plan was to drive out early in the morning to the starting point of my ride, about a 3 hr haul. Of course, the speculations of early or late is always a bit nerve wrenching to ensure you are there on time. I would wake a few times overnight to check the hotline and reports weren't clear if some of the time was made up or not. At 4AM, decided to go feed and check on status again, heard they were behind, just not sure how much. At 6AM loaded up and headed out to Edwards Creek, I had daylight to drive in and started making my way across Hwy 50. The near by fire left a haze in the valley - thinking of all the folks fighting the fire and hope they would make good progress. Along the highway a band of Mustangs is grazing, the band had the two babies shielded from the road and I admire their instincts. Shortly after I see two fighter jets maneuvering in the sky, that is definitely not something the original riders would have seen. You wonder what the original riders would have encountered along their rides.

I arrive at my starting point - Edwards Creek, the little 'white' house nestled in the canyon. Unload Red and find out where the mail is - at this point some time was made up and probably 2-3 hours later than originally planned. So we wait, no shade in site. Maneuvered my truck a few times to have the trailer cast some shade, that lasted until midday when the blistering sun was at it's highest point. We had agreed that Doug would text me when Cory would leave Smith Creek Ranch - that would give me about 1 hr 20 min to get ready. Perfect I thought and sat next to Red reading my book. After a couple of hours, I decided to take Red for walk around, the bugs were getting bad and some movement would be good. We walked down the road a bit and then I get a text at 1:25PM. It read Cory left at 12:30 - oh crap - he could be here shortly and I need to walk back to the trailer and tack up and be ready to ride. We get back, tacked up, offered Red some more water as it was hot! Approaching 2 o'clock and I was saddled and ready and started to wonder where Cory was. I started riding towards the direction where Cory would be riding in from to see if I could see him, Red must hear something he stops and listens, then there I see the red shirt through the willows. Yeah, he made it! At the white house we did our exchange and of Red and I went. The first part of the road is rocky and we moved out when we could - it was hot, the sun beating down on the open terrain. Wishing for a bit more of a breeze to help stay as cool as possible. It was a long leg and I knew I had 1 more to do that day and another the next. Red was willing to move out when asked, but with the heat I wanted to make sure he would not overheat, the sweat was drying on him immediately. We got to Hwy 50 and handed of to Doug Jares, he already rode several miles on the other side of the mountain and was going to take the next 3 miles. We drove ahead and stopped at Alpine road turnoff and no sooner did I unload, Doug was there to hand of the mochila. And of we go again, this time along highway 50 on an ATV trail. I am pleasantly surprised how well Red does with the 18 wheelers & motorcycles whizzing by. The last mile is an all up hill sandy ascent, I slow him down as the temps were high (I later found out it was over 90+degrees for our ride). We crest the hill and see the Cold Springs Station ahead, I see the red shirts indicating where to cross the hwy to the exchange. We cross and ride into the station and we hear the 'Pony Rider' shouts. It was time to fix the tracking device in the mochila, that quit transmitting shortly after it made it to Nevada. Once fixed, of went the mochila to the next group. We made it to the station 2 hrs after our scheduled time, we didn't gain any time on our section, but didn't loose any either. With the scorching temps that was an accomplishment in itself! Back home that evening - following the updates to see how the next day would be. Schedule was 11 AM, but it looked like it could be later.

I am thrilled to hear updates from first time rides Heather and Maxi who had an awesome experience at Fort Churchill and made great times on their legs in the morning. The last update before their ride was that president Ron Bell had just sworn them in and they were 'official'. Originally scheduled to ride at night, they had daylight and cooler morning air for their sections. They caught the pony fever and are planning for next year!

Overnight the pony lost some time, and trying to figure out my next ride time was a moving target. The tracker was back on line and I decided that once the mail made it to Carson, I would head out to my Kingsbury section. I had recruited Jim to shuttle my rig for me and we would meet at the trail. He pulled up with a parasailer who hitched a ride, he had ended up at the bottom of the grade with his parasail and needed a lift back to his car. What fun experiences on the trail!

At the turnout on hwy 207 - Kingsbury Grade Red and I find a single tree that provides us some shade, the theme of this reride is definitely HOT. Many folks gather - so nice to share Pony Fever with friends that stop by. We wait for news where the mochila is, it is making progress, Jacks Valley, Genoa and then finally - it is coming up the lower half of Kingsbury grade. The crossing for the pony is through a small cut of the guard rail along the busy Highway. Thankfully we had folks on hand to help stop the traffic and get the two incoming riders (Ernie Buggs & Ed Lynch) to cross over the highway safely. I was blessed that local photographer John T Humphrey had scouted out a spot for photos en route. We left up the old Kingsbury toll road, and up ahead saw John ready for us to go by. I was amazed that Red ran right past him, so close that I could hear the shutter clicking away as we went by. He captured some wonderful shots of us going by. Of we go up our route, we turn up the powerline path, a nice sandy uphill, perfect to move out a bit. We approach the sketchy culvert crossing, we had scouted it a few weeks before and Red had crossed it, but this time, being somewhat winded, he was extremely unsure about the crossing and the footing. I encouraged him a couple of times to try to cross it, but he wasn't going to go. As I was riding solo without any support vehicles around me, I decided to take the safer route, which meant adding about 2 miles to the leg, so we turned around and rode up the old road. Approaching our final accent on to the top of Kingsbury grade, we hear a back of coyotes in the hills. Surprised to hear them howling during the day! I howled back and after a little bit they stopped. Around the last bend before the road, I see John again with his trusty camera. A short exchange and laughter about the coyote howl (probably more about my howling response) and on we went. Arrived at the top of the ridge to be greeted by the volunteer sheriff escort and HAM radio operators. Home stretch - the Boulder Lodge Parking lot is ahead and the next riders (Bob Moore & Dwight Borgess) waiting for the mail. It is an amazing feeling to have friends at the exchanges coming to watch the reride! Blessed that many were able to come and attend! Ride Captain Mike Ryan is there to help with the exchange.

Congrats to the Nevada division, President Ron Bell and the ride captains for completing the 2015 ReRide.

Here are her photos.

From:Ron Norton, KJ6XI
Received: June 25, 9:14pm PDT

We'll , we did it again. I would like to thank everyone who took part in providing the communications for the California part of the NPEA 2015 Reride. I think the hams did a professional job. For the first time a live stream was provided on the NPEA website providing instant information as to where the pony was at that time.

Once again, Thank you! I know that Pony Express really appreciate the service the Amateur Radio operators provide. Next year the Reride will start in Old Sacramento traveling east to St.Joseph, Missouri.

From:Gary Plank, NPEA California Division
Received: June 25, 9:14pm PDT

Here are a couple of short videos on the trails we worked on this year, the Kyburz Dump to Webber Mill and Brockliss Bridge. The rider is Dave Peters and his horse Sugarloaf. Unfortunately the mail was 5 hrs. late which put us in the dark again and we were unable to get ride footage on the trail. We cut 23 trees off the Kyburz Dump in three days of clearing. It's a beautiful trial, with huge granite boulders and clear mountain streams, but always a lot of work.

The Pony Express Trail Brockliss Crossing *** The Pony Express Trail Kyburz

From:Paula Bath, Colorado member since 1991
Received: June 25, 7:01pm PDT

Thank you again so much for all your hard work on ride coverage and website this year.

Received: June 25, 2:01pm PDT


Received: June 25, 9:20am PDT

RIDER IN…..0924….. RIDER OUT…0924…. - 3 hr behind schedule

Received: June 25, 8:18am PDT

RIDER IN……0813…… RIDER OUT….0814…….3 hr behind schedule

From: Jeremiah Norrell, El Dorado Amateur Radio Club - Net Control
Received: June 24, 10:56pm PDT

Rider has departed Kyburz Dump
Arrival Time: 22:49 - Departure Time: 22:50

From: Jeremiah Norrell, El Dorado Amateur Radio Club - Net Control
Received: June 24, 9:08pm PDT

Rider has departed XP Corral
Arrival Time: 21:07 - Departure Time: 21:09 - Still 4 hours behind schedule.

From: Tom Doherty
Received: June 24, 6:06pm PDT

The mail left Trout Creek in South Lake Tahoe at 6:00 pm, 4 hours and 50 minutes behind schedule. The incoming rider was Davey Doc Wiser on Beetle Bailey, and the outbound rider is Jerry Bestpitch on Granite.

From: Jeremiah Norrell, El Dorado Amateur Radio Club - Net Control
Received: June 24, 6:00pm PDT

Rider has departed Trout Creek.
Arrival Time: 17:58 - Departure Time: 18:00

From: Jeremiah Norrell, El Dorado Amateur Radio Club - Net Control
Received: June 24, 5:13pm PDT

Rider has arrived at State line.
Arrival Time: 17:10 - Departure Time: 17:13
California has the rider.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 24, 2:47pm PDT

At 2:12pm PDT the mail was reported on Kingsbury Grade on the last leg before handing off to California. Still running 4 hours behind schedule.

From: Heather Graziano & Fern, Truckee
Sent: June 24, 1:46pm PDT

Just wanted to share a bit about my first ever ride!

I acquired the mail at approximately 7am at Fort Churchill and took off at a quick pace. My mare, having seen her stablemate leave in a trailer, had no issue helping make up time and happily galloped away. We alternated fast trots and medium lopes and made our 5 miles in 30 minutes. Handed the mochila to my roommate who continued the pace for another 5 miles before her handoff. What a fun ride! Beautiful landscapes and fast horses, will definitely see you all next year!

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 24, 11:51am PDT

11:30am Exchange at Carson City 4 hrs late.

From: William Andrews
Sent: June 24, 8:00am PDT

The pony arrived and departed Ft Churchill at 0650 on 24 June, 4 hours behind schedule.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 24, 12:30am PDT

Cold Springs Nv Exchange 2:15 late.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 23, 11:57pm PDT

At 11:40pm PDT the mail was reported running 2 hours 20 minutes behind schedule.

From: Don McRoberts, 73 de W3DRM, SIERA Webmaster
Received: June 23, 5:109m PDT

Wahoo! Looks like the GPS tracker is working again. The Pony passed Cold Springs at around 4:25pm PDT. That would put them about 2hrs - 25mins behind schedule.

I'll be meeting and following the pony at Top Gun Raceway (Fallon, NV) for the trek into Carson City via Fort Churchill. It's going to be a long dark night as I see the moon sets shortly after midnight.

From: Carol Hunt, Schellbourne Re-riders, C/E Nevada
Received: June 23, 1:31pm PDT

Hi to all our fellow riders! We are to get the mail, Father's Day night, while everyone else is nestled in their beds, The Schellbourne Re-riders camp at our favorite ranch in Ibapah, UT, Duane Hicks beauriful "spa," complete with green grass and trees! Tom Love and I and Eva Jensen were the first to arrive, and were greeted by State President, Ron Bell and friend. ( Steve ? ). They had gotten somewhat sketchy directions, but persevered and found the camp, ten miles north of Ibapah. Other riders started arriving. Ride captain, Gene Ockert, All the usual suspects, Wendy Anderson, Tony Zamora, kids, grandkids, Doc Chris Christensen who would be riding his 35th year, complete with a new hip he had done Feb. 1. I could mention Tom Love had a right total knee replacement this past December. They both have been doing really well, and out riding and conditioning their horses. "Doc" is 82 years old, I believe, tougher than a badger, which there were plenty of those on the trail, and they gave way to "Doc." National President, Lyle Ladner also showed up in time for some still warm leftovers.

We got news the mail would be 1 1/2 hours late, so it looked like most of us could get 4 or 5 hours of sleep! But, no...not with excited riders! Zamora insisted the mail would be early, and rousted everyone out to break camp and go to the Pony Express Monument at Ibapah and wait for the Utah riders. We went, but then continued about 20 miles out to the Goshute Indian Reservation where we would take the mail across "Tippets." We also opened the gates at the five cattle guards. Then just try to get any sleep! Tom is a HAM operator, so we could hear how the mail was advancing through Utah. Those riders are fantastic, and can make up time, so anything could happen. Finally, as the very first hint of dawn appeared here came a truck. The riders were on their way. They had gotten the mail about 3:45 a.m. Tom rode first aboard his palomino Tennessee Walker gelding, Johnny. I was supposed to drive to our switch off point, but Tom passed me in those still dark minutes, Johnny jumping over menacing badger holes!! I just couldn't drive faster. I didn't want to throw the other two horses around on that washboard, hole-ridden trail. Tom was waiting for me. He put the Mochila on my Missouri Fox Trotter, Eagle, and away we all went. It was still pre-dawn darkness. I was holding a flashlight to watch for the MANY badger holes. To try for fast time was not meant at this time. Finally got to Eva, where she boarded her big powerful paint mare, Sosi, and took off. It was now light enough, and Eva took off and made up time and passed off to the Christensen's, father, son, and grandson. We stopped by the turn off to Rock Springs, highest point along the entire XP trail at about 8,000'. Trucks had to go around another trail to get back to where the riders came off Rock Springs. We regrouped with the wonderful riders from Pahrump, who brought six Paso Fino horses. Tom organized the riders to head up the road over Schellbourne Pass, then Schellbourne Station on highway 93, where breakfast was waiting. The mail had gotten there just in front of us, but I didn't see a waiting rider. Finally a recruit from Pahrump got the mochila, about 9:00, and away they went west at full gallop. (Need I mention it was a youngster??) Our group had to drive around the Egan pass to get Eva located to where we would get the mail. This has got to be one of the three top prettiest parts of the trail. It was a two hour wait, but finally mail arrived and was passed off to Eva, The HAM operators who were to follow the ride didn't show up. So there was limited communication, except for Tom. We drove around while Eva and Sosi shot across a three mile trail. We barely got there when they came galloping in. What a great, strong, willing horse!! Eva was all smiles as mochila was passed on. We watched Anna Hoge, age 17, take off at a strong gallop. We then headed for where the riders for White Rock come out. After that, Tom helped line out the riders across Long Valley and the horrible wash! Some of the Schellbourne group had gotten a bobcat donated and had went out on the trail and cleaned up a few spots. Thanks to them for their effort. "Long Valley" must be as wide as it is long, because it seemed like the other side was a long time getting there. It's also a steep, rocky climb to the top called the "Mavericks," and gets steeper at the crest. That's where our dodge of many years lost the challenge to the trail. The 4 wheel drive went out, and Tom must have mentally gotten the rig to the top, where there was no response out of the transmission. We got parked, and waited 2 1/2 hours for the riders to reach us. The Paso's were fairly well spent. We passed along information that there was a solar flare storm of the sun, and all the HAM's went out of commission. They packed up and went home. We had no HAM/jeep following the group, so in the worst, most desolate part of the trail, we had only each other and our will to get the mail through to the Top of the Diamonds, Overland Pass, where there would also be no one waiting, except the Pony rider. "Doc" Chris's grandson made the trip to the top, and passed off the mochila estimated 8 p.m.

We got really lucky. The truck tranny oil had cooled, and Tom got us off the mountain safely. We went past the Bald Mountain Mine, and we kept going, and going, and going, and finally went back to Eva in her truck and asked her if she'd ever been on this road??? We kept heading south. Saw three big, fat badgers crossing the road. I thought they were nocturnal? Also saw a herd of antelope and some wild horses.That made it a fun ride. We finally got to Hwy 50, and turned toward home. A shower and bed was a welcoming end to a very long 155th re-ride.

From: Bill Andrews
Received: June 23, 11:10am PDT

We need more, and more detailed, reports from the trail. Since the pinger seems to have quit working a day ago, we will have to rely on human reports. When you file a report, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be detailed in your description. Include exactly WHERE you saw the Pony and WHEN. As part of the "WHEN" please include a statement on how LATE or EARLY the rider is. That is a critical element of information for the downstream riders. Simply giving a time and a location, such as a mile marker on the highway, is pretty useless information. The riders ahead of you need to know where the rider is in relation to known checkpoints and how far ahead or behind they are on the schedule.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 23, 11:02am PDT

At 10:00 hrs PDT the mail was reported at Austin Airport running 2 hours 45 minutes behind schedule.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 2, 5:26pm PDT

At 5:15 PM the Pony was reported to be at Ruby Lake.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 22, 10:18pm PDT

At 1915 hrs PDT the mail was reported at Overland Pass.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 23, 6:13am PDT

At 02:00 hrs June 23, the Pony was at Grubb's Well, One hour late.

From: Diana van Uitert, NPEA Utah Division
Sent: June 22, 5:04pm PDT

Here is a message from our State President, Fred Leslie:

Dear Pony Express Rider, Member and/or Participant,

We have completed another year of carrying the mail through Utah. We handed the mail to the Nevada Division this morning at 3am, and it is half way through Nevada now. It will be delivered in Sacramento sometime tomorrow. We picked the mail up on the Wyoming border at 12:30am on Sunday morning and Team 3 under the leadership of Pat Hearty worked through the night and delivered the mail to Team 2 at Murray Park at 7:30 am. A great job with a phenomenal time. That is a great job with all but 4 miles on pavement. Team 2 wasted no time with sending the mail down State Street "Pounding the Pavement" so to speak. They weren't handicapped with having to ride in the dark as Team 3 had to but they watched the cool morning temperatures turn to blistering heat as the sun beat on the pavement. As they threaded a needle getting through Eagle Mt. to Fairfield and then to Simpson Springs to hand off the mail to Team 1 the temperatures soared to a season high of 102 degrees at Simpson Spring with a hot southern wind at 25 mile an hour. Team 1 anxious for the sun to go down and the winds to die worked tirelessly through the night mile by mile till they reached Ibapah and turned the mail over to Nevada.

We are allotted 28 hours to run the mail through Utah we did it in 26.5 hours, a job well done. I suspect next year we'll slice it down a little bit more.

Some of the things I noticed as I followed the three teams through the state. Young riders had grins on their faces from ear to ear, old riders seamed to have written on their faces, "what is the maximum safe number of ibuprofen can I take?" At the end of a 2 mile ride the young rider says, "that felt like only a mile and a half" and the mature rider says, "why did I have to ride 3 miles?" I saw new friendships being made and old ones being strengthened. I heard comments about how great their ride was or how good their horse was. I was able to enjoy a new member's birthday party and cake at "Black Rock Station" and hear him say, "this was the best birthday ever". But the best thing I say, was a completed re-ride with no injuries to horse or rider.

Thank you all for the part you contributed to in making this a success.

Happy Trails
Fred Leslie, UT Pres.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 22, 11:00am PDT

The rider crossed US 93 at Shellbourne today at 09:08 hrs.

From: Patsy Lange, NPEA Utah Division
Sent: June 22, 10:07am PDT

We had a pretty good run yesterday through SLC, Received the mail about an hour late. We actually was making up time in town, not a lot of traffic, still a little on the cooler side. After we got in the Desert tho, with the temps in 101 range, and the winding blowing; the horses and us starting slowing down a little. During my 2nd run, just starting on the gravel roads, it was windy but still not real hot; it was great. The 3rd ride was at the hottest, close to 100 degrees, Blaze, my black and white paint thought we were in a windtunnel, with the wind pushing against us! All in all it was a fun and enjoyable time.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 22, 6:21am PDT

The Pony arrived at Ibapah, UT at 02:01 hrs, June 22, 30 minutes late.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 21, 11:24pm PDT

At 1018 hrs MDT the mail arrived at Boyd Station approximately 1 1/2 hrs behind schedule.

From: Patrick Hearty, Utah NPEA
Received: June 21, 9:13pm PDT

Western Wyoming riders made the Utah border 3 1/4 hours late. It was a cool and perfect night to make up a little time, so the boys and girls (human and equine) put the hammer down.

Our first rider was Trever Carpenter, and I left the border change point before he got the mochila, knowing I couldn't pass him on that road. I got a good head start, and was going about 25 mph, as the road is pretty washboardy. After about a mile, I looked in the rearview, and he was right behind me and gaining.

We didn't let up when we got to the tougher stretches. Gregg Hearty checked his watch on one ten-mile stretch. We came into Henefer, then up Main Canyon, over the Hogsback and down East Canyon to the reservoir in just under an hour. It was the second leg for several of the horses. Riders were Jeff Hearty, Trever Carpenter again, Kevin Kimber, myself, and Matt Hearty. That's not the toughest stretch of the night, as Cory and Thomas Brown will attest, but still a pretty long and serious pull.

Every rider in position for their rides. Every horse and rider pushing and giving a little extra. Can't say enough thanks.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 21, 11:17am PDT

Fairfield It 12:05 pm MDT.

From: Beverley Heffernan
Sent: June 21, 8:47am PDT

The Pony is crossing into Utah County about 9:45am MDT.

From: Beverley Heffernan
Sent: June 21, 7:14am PDT

Exchange at Murray Park at 7:30 a.m MDT. 45 min behind schedule.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 20, 11:11pm PDT

At 22:20 PT, June 20 the Rider was in Evanston, WY.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 20, 5:46pm PDT

In western Wy 3 hrs late.

From: Les Bennington, Wyoming NPEA
Sent: June 20, 10:05am PDT

Last night we were about 3 hours late getting into Jeffry City, but made up good time and left Farson 1 hour late. Had to change the GPS batteries. Seem they only last about 24 hours. We had two Wyoming riders hurt last night. One was taken to the Riverton Hospital and the other to the Casper Hospital with a concussion. Both are better this morning. One was bucked off his horse when attempting to load the mochilla. His horse was calmed down, the mochilla was placed on his wife's horse and they took off with the mail.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 20, 9:50am PDT

Farson, Wy, Mail 1.5 hrs late.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 20, 8:50am PDT

Exchange at Martin's Cove was 15 minutes late.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 20, 6:42am PDT

At 06:48 hrs MDT the Pony Rider was at South Pass City, Wy.

From: Karen James
Sent: June 19, 6:58pm PDT

Martins Cove Exchange June 19 at approximately 5:30 pm.

From: Dwight Parrill AE7YA, Casper Amateur Radio Club
Sent: June 19, 10:00am PDT

Paul Long, K7RXC, reports the exchange at Poison Spider School at 11:07 AM, about 1 hour ahead of schedule. Westward to Independence Rock and Martin's Cove.

From: Dwight Parrill AE7YA, Casper Amateur Radio Club
Sent: June 19, 8:50am PDT

Paul Long, K7RXC, reports the exchange at Fort Caspar at 9:45 AM, 1 hour ahead of schedule. They have navigated the road construction very nicely.

From: Dwight Parrill AE7YA, Casper Amateur Radio Club
Sent: June 19, 8:14am PDT

Mike Coley, KE7AZF, reports the exchange at the National Historic Trails Center ay 9:07, 50 minutes ahead of schedule. Communications handed off to Paul Longk K7RXC. Pony is enroute to Fort Caspar.

From: Dwight Parrill AE7YA, Casper Amateur Radio Club
Sent: June 19, 7:19am PDT

Mike Coley, KE7AZF, reports the exchange at Sinclair Refinery at 8:45 AM, 3/4 hr ahead of schedule and enroute to the National Historic Trails Center. Horses and riders are doing well.

From: Les Bennington, Wyoming NPEA
Sent: June 19, 5:09am PDT

Hey Tom this is Les Bennington in Wyoming. I just want to let you know running an hour and a half to two hours ahead of schedule. We came through Glenrock at five thirty. I think the schedule said seven thirty. We will get Shell's up a little bit earlier before too long. But you got to change the batteries in the gps unit.

From: Jon Quinn KD0FKM
Sent: June 18, 3:35pm PDT

I have been in contact with KD5HQM ~ Donny Norvell. One of your Pony Express Re-riders. I spoke with him at 4:35pm in Wyoming just west of Lingle. They were prepareing for a transfer of the Mochila. We Spoke on a 2 meter ham repeater out of Wheatland WY, freq 146.880 (- shift). Looks like the mail will be on time. Thanx for keeping a really cool tradition alive.

From: Troy Bryan
Sent: June 18, 1:48pm PDT

I put up a video on Youtubefor the ride as the moved west from Bridgeport, Nebraska.

From: :*) Sarah Kay (*:= Wife of pony express rider
Sent: June 18, 12:58pm PDT

We are at rd. 54 on WY 92 between WY state line and Torrington headed north.

From: Mary Cone, NPEA Insurance Coordinator
Sent: June 18, 11:07am PDT

Here are ID's on these 2 photos from Lyle's collection:

The Pony Express Riders at Exchange Paxton Ne
l-r Mary Dale, Karla, Lyle Ladner administering oath, Ron, Angie, Carl, Joan, Rick (foreground), Bill

The Exchange to Colo.
Nebraska Division President Lyle Gronewold, Mary Cone riding

Thanks for all your coverage!!!

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, NPEA
Sent: June 18, 6:16am PDT

Rider was in Bridgeport, NE at 06:37 MT 30 min early.

From: From Mary Cone, Keith County, Nebraska, Trail Captain.
Sent: June 17, 11:59pm PDT

Anticipation, and then boom, it's over. The Pony Re-ride through Keith County, Nebraska, was one of the best. We received the mail south of Paxton from the North Platte Riders about 10 minutes early. This got us off to a great start in the mid-afternoon sunshine!! Bill rode Ginger, Donna was on Comet, Carl had Elvis, Kristy rode Jet and Spencer, Rick rode Phoenix and Cash, Don was on Little Brother, Angie rode Yeller, Mary Dale had Casper (who has been a mount for someone every year since 2002), Karla rode Cowboy, Adam was on Lady, Kristy and daughter "Rosin", who buddy-rode, were on Thunder and Ranger, and Mary rode Shiny Colonel. Support personnel Ron, Joan, Mona and Jan helped with rig-driving duties and "rear guard" protection. Howard, still recovering from West Nile, couldn't ride yet, but came along and supervised. Everyone did a great job!

We were able to ride in daylight this year, and it worked out time-wise to have a brief supper stopover at Ogallala at the Tri-Trails Park, south of town, where the Oregon, Pony Express and Great Western Cattle Trails cross. Local folks came out, enjoyed a cream can supper and watched the mochila exchange and learned about the Pony Express. National NPEA President Lyle Ladner administered the oath to the riders there, also.

We were all grateful for good weather and a safe ride. We arrived about 40 minutes early to Big Springs as the sun was setting. There, we turned the mochila over to the Colorado riders.

God speed to all onward to Sacramento!!

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 17, 7:40pm PDT

Exchange to CO at Big Spring about 15 min early.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 17, 6:15pm PDT

Ogallala NE exchange on time. Mary Cone had a great presentation and meal at the trails park.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 17, 6:03pm PDT

At 1936 hrs CDT the mail was reported just west of Hwy 61 on Road W80 on the southside of Ogallala, Nebraska.

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 17, 11:22am PDT

At 1000 hrs CDT the mail was reported just south of the Platte River near Gothenburg, Nebraska.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 17, 10:16am PDT

Brady NE exchange 30 min late

From: Churchill County Communications Hotline
Received: June 16, 3:45pm PDT

Mail located at Rock Creek Station, Nebraska, at 10:03 hours CDT, June 16.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 16, 7:53am PDT

Mail on time at Rock Creek Station.

From: Lyle Ladner, President NPEA
Sent: June 16, 6:05am PDT

KS NE exchange was on time @ 7:30.

From: Trudy Wischropp
Sent: June 15, 5:04pm PDT

Here is a Twitter post I made about the NPEA coming through the Kennekuk area today.

From: Larry Carpenter, Sacramento, Member, California State Division.
Sent: June 15, 4:32pm PDT

The NPEA is active all year promoting and preserving the History of the Pony Express and the Pony Express National Historic Trail. All 8 State Divisions have a number of events, parades, and local community activities they participate in. Each September the NPEA holds their annual Convention to conduct business, review the Re-ride, get updates on the Trail, and plan for the next Re-ride. Everything starts to come together and get focused in the Spring as the Ride approaches. Many State Divisions have Swearing-In Dinners where updates on the Ride are given, Riders take the Pony Express Oath, new Riders issued Bibles and older Riders are given longevity patches, and there is great fellowship and anticipation of the upcoming Ride. Due to distances often times the entire Division cannot meet, so they happen on a regional basis. Some Riders are Sworn before they step into the stirrups or slap on the mochila at Exchange/Relay points.

This year the Nevada Division met June 11 at Grandma Hatties Restaurant in Carson City. This is their normal monthly meeting time and place, but this month they received updates on the Ride and Riders were Sworn (took the Pony Express Oath). On Saturday, June 13th, the Colorado Division had a BBQ and Swearing In Dinner at the Welcome Center in Julesburg. It was Sponsored by the Sedgwick County Chamber of Commerce. The same night, the California Division held their Annual Swearing-In Dinner at the Rescue Community Center, in Rescue (El Dorado County). President Rich Tatman officiated and Riders and Members participating took the Oath and received updates on Trail conditions, and assignments. New Riders received Bibles in the tradition of Russell, Majors, and Waddell, and Year Patches given out to experienced Riders, and Ride Pins (Missouri) to all members.

There is a lot of tradition that goes into the Re-ride, and these Ride Dinners are a part of that.

From: Mike Crowe, W0MSC
Sent: June 15, 4:32pm PDT

The Hiawatha group handed off the Pony Express ride to the Seneca group at 6:22 p.m. today

From: John Bowser, N0YXG, Missouri Valley Amateur Radio Club, St. Joseph, MO
Sent: June 15, 2:35pm PDT

The Riders started off this morning from the Patee House Museum in St. Joseph, MO with Charlotte Bowser, N0ZKH, of the Missouri Valley Amateur Radio Club running a mobile unit on VHF 146.520 and 146.850 with the Riders. Charlotte handed communications duties over to John McCLain, KF0IN of the Kansas Ham radio group, at 1:49 p.m. approximately 2 miles west of the Doniphan County West Middle School.

From: Mike Crowe, W0MSC
Sent: June 15, 2:55pm PDT

They are in the town south of horton

From: Mike Crowe, W0MSC
Sent: June 15, 12:52pm PDT

The Pony Express is at Brown County and heading toward Horton and then toward Sac and Fox casino crossing

From: John McClain, KF0IN
Sent: June 15, 8:07am PDT

To let you know I talked to the Ham operator at St Joseph and the pony has advanced across the bridge and is currently at Elwood Kansas. I will not be able to forward emails to you as I traverse through Horton Kansas and on to the Sac and Fox Casino area to hand off to the group from Seneca, KS . I will try but my computer guy is busy with other things today.

From: David Kittle, Third Vice President, National Pony Express Association
Sent: June 15, 7:54am PDT

The Pony got off on time and has just crossed over the bridge in Kansas.